To give a little bit of history, a week ago I was with my aunt Jan, my great uncle Tom and my grandmother Betty and they were telling me stories about my family. I found out that my great grandmother's name was Marvel Olive (last name Pitts) on my father's side. She was born July 26, 1895 and died in 1983 in Ardmore, OK. I was floored by the beauty of her name and a friend mentioned "hey, why don't you name 'it' Marvel Olive?" I sat on it for a week, and it's brilliant! I don't know much about her nor did I ever meet her but I think her name is graceful, unique and timeless. All of which, I hope the plans I have in store for myself are, as well.
According to one site, the name Marvel is a variant of "Maravilla" (Spanish, Latin) and "Marvell" (Latin), and the meaning of Marvel is "miracle to marvel at; wonderful, extraordinary". But on another site, it says the origin of Marvel is French. Who knows really, but lets run with it shall we?
I wish I could say the joy of cooking, eating and entertaining was passed down to me from my great grandmother, Marvel, since I'm naming this blog after her, but I feel it is from my mother's side I got this gene, if there ever were such a thing. I remember visiting my grandma Trudy in Florida in her small apartment, the air filled with cigarette smoke,
and watching her bake all the time. A cocktail and cigarette in one hand (the classy kind of way, like Marlene Dietrich) and a spatula in another. I've heard stories of my grandfather starting a Playboy Club with his buddies in Jacksonville, FL back in the 1960s and being quite the host...and charmer.This blog is about sustainable foods, the local food community, food policy, delicious eats, talented chefs, cooking and marketing insights of the food and beverage industry. While Austin is showing signs of having an upper echelon of amazing chefs and restaurants it still has a long way to go, and this is where I come in. I hope you like it.
No comments:
Post a Comment